The possibility of cybercriminals cracking your passwords isn’t the only thing to worry about. Relying on a trusted team of IT professionals that takes a layered approach to security is essential to every business. Why? The year 2020 broke all records when it came to data lost in breaches and sheer numbers of cyber-attacks on companies, government, and individuals. Here are just a few alarming statistics reported by Forbes.
- On average, only 5% of companies’ folders are properly protected.
- Nearly 80% of IT leaders believe their organizations lack sufficient protection against cyberattacks despite increased IT security investments made in 2020 to deal with work-from-home challenges.
- The average cost of a data breach was $3.86 million as of 2020 and cybercrime is expected to cost the world $10.5 trillion annually by 2025.
- Every minute, $2,900,000 is lost to cybercrime and top companies pay $25 per minute due to cybersecurity breaches.
- In 2020, malware increased by 358% overall and ransomware increased by 435% as compared with 2019.
- The world faces over 100,000 malicious websites and 10,000 malicious files daily.
- Phishing attacks account for more than 80% of reported security incidents. Google has registered 2,145,013 phishing sites as of Jan 17, 2021.
- A ransomware attack occurred every 10 seconds in 2020, including 1 in 5 Americans who fell victim.
Understanding the severity of these cybersecurity statistics can help your organization point to gaps and growing threats. Most importantly, it’s a call to take the risk management mission more seriously. If your organization needs help developing a cybersecurity strategy that’s fit for the challenges of today and the future, we’re here to help.